I joined OCTA a few months after starting my position in the University of Akron Counseling & Testing Center. In that first year, I decided to pursue NCTA Certification. Naively, I reached out to OCTA’s first President, Jim Kalna, for advice on how to approach the process. I say naïve because that seemingly small email was followed by a much bigger email from our second President, Heidi Pettyjohn, which led to what has turned into a five-year commitment on the OCTA board. I admit my first thought was, “There’s no way they actually want my help!” I am forever grateful for that email, and for ignoring my first response. Membership in OCTA provides ample benefits, but engagement as a board member is what helped me connect closely with many fellow professionals who I can turn to whenever I need support and input. Serving as Conference Chair, then President, contributed a great deal to my growth and confidence in this profession and I am hopeful that this letter will help you do the same. OCTA thrives on the enthusiasm and hard work of volunteers – and I encourage you to nominate yourself or a colleague to join as one of the amazing members of the board in 2018-2019. If you have a moment of regret in this decision, I promise I owe you a favor.
Continuing on the board are President Paula Doughman, Secretary Ryan Mays, Treasurer Jan Kay Gonzalez, Membership Chair Michael Stumpf, and Committee Chair for Professional Development Heidi Hartley. Please see descriptions of the four open positions below, along with contact information for currently serving board members who can share more about their experiences. All positions start with the new fiscal year, July 1, 2018. Please note that the organizational name will also change at that time, from OCTA to the Great Lakes College Testing Association, to reflect our broader membership.
• President-Elect is a one-year term immediately preceding Presidency. The President-Elect performs all duties of the President during absences, conducts the election of new Board members in the spring, and assists the President in governing the organization. Following the one-year term, the President-Elect serves as President for two-years, followed by a final year as Past-President.
o Current President: Paula Doughman, The University of Cincinnati,
o Past-President: Sara Rieder Bennett, Ph.D., The University of Akron,
• The Conference Chair is a two year term and takes the lead in all logistical planning related to annual or biennial conference. The Conference Chair tasks and activities include securing event location and date, coordinating with board and committee members on advertising and registration, overseeing vendor support and attendee fees, catering and space setup, and organizing lodging options.
o Current Conference Chair: Cindy Davis, The Ohio State University,
• Two General Board Member positions are available. General Board Members serve a two-year term. This role participates in the governing of the organization by contributing to decision making, leading ad hoc committees, filling in for Officers, and other duties as needed.
o Current General Board Members:
Denise Cashon, Columbus State Community College, firstname.lastname@example.org
Heather Vennekotter, Rhodes State College, vennekotter.H@rhodesstate.edu
In my last official role on the OCTA Board, I encourage you to nominate yourself or a colleague by sending the following to me at email@example.com by May 1st:
• Name, Title, School, E-mail, Phone Number
• Board Position(s) Desired
• Brief description of any experience with leadership or other board/committee work
• Brief paragraph (100 words) stating your desire to serve on the OCTA Board
Elections will run for two weeks via an online survey following the nomination period.
Thank you all for your support of OCTA, and I hope to hear from you soon!
Sara Rieder Bennett, Ph.D.